October 12, 2012

Check Out Dem Curls: Chantel!


"...everyone’s hair is different you just need to find what works best for you!.."
What’s your name? Chantel

How old are you? I turn 23 Today J
What do you do? Oh boy.. I am a Kinesiology and Dance student, teach dance (Salsa Club @ York University), Michel Germain Perfume Demonstrator, Model ;)
Where are you? The heart of Toronto
How did we meet? Through Salsa at the Latin Energy Social, I asked you to lead me and immediately fell in love! lol
Describe your style. That changes as often as my mood!  I tend to keep it quite simple with long dresses, they are easy to throw on, don’t require much thought and you can wear it anywhere from the laundry mat to salsa and still look elegant!
Now Playing:
Cocaine by my beloved Robin Thicke, Tu Amor by Luis Fonsi, Besito a Besito de Luis Miguel
Quote you live by: Live, Laugh, Love…
Describe your hair type? Curly and short in a semi Mohawk style cut (Long throughout the front to back and short on the sides)
Tell us a little about your hair history and what made you decide to go natural?
 My hair has been through years of constant change…here's a timeline:

Age
Style
1-5
Natural- Braids, twists, cornrows, ponytails with the ends braided and them little bubble clips at the end J
5-8
Permed my hair, It was long as hell, bone straight and I loved it
8-10
Wanted to be natural again and all my hair (chemically treated hair) fell out.. sad times
10-14
Hair grew back and I permed it again lol
This was also when I went through a Tomboy phase so I kept my hair in cornrows and braids extensions almost all the time and tucked it in one of my many colourful bandannas
15-19
Hair was still permed and I wore it out most of the time.
Relaxers and deep conditioner treatments every 6-8 weeks, blow-drying, flat ironing =patience and money! Also had brown and sometimes blond highlights
20-21
Various haircuts and style changes (Rihanna bob as well as Mohawk)
22-present
Cut off all the relaxer and did a semi-bald cut after a trip to Mexico. I realised after a swim in the salt water that the front of my hair (the part that was growing out of the perm) had a little bit of a twist to it as it did when I was a kid, figured it would look cute natural.
As my hair grows longer, I go to the barber and get him to cut very little off of the sides every 2 to 3 weeks
  
Describe your hair regime.
  • I wash and style my hair every day, but it’s not your typical wash or style…
  • I wash my hair with shampoo only once every week or after I go swimming- I wash gently and in a circular motion rinse and condition (I use to be rough and massage/scratch the scalp when it was longer and permed)
  • Every morning I rinse my hair with water and add conditioner
  • Let the conditioner sit for 5 min then wash it out gently as to not disrupt the natural curls
  • While hair is still wet I put an ample amount of hair lotion in the palms of my hand and pat it over my entire head, I then gently run my fingers through my hair with the lotion using my fingertips in a downwards motion so that it can get to the scalp (don’t massage it in)
  • Once the lotion is in comes the funny part. Bend over and shake the hell out of your hair from front to back and side to side. For the style I go for, gravity doesn’t work in my favour so I bend over every once in a while and give it a shake so that the curls separate and don’t clump together during the drying process. (99% of the time I let it air dry, if not ill use a blow-dryer with a diffuser and dry it a little bit while upside down).
  • I deep condition my hair once every week by just adding condition to dry hair and sleeping with it overnight. I follow my usual regime in the morning.
How do you normally style your hair?  I have been wearing my hair the same way I described for the past few months. I didn’t leave myself many options with the haircut I have, so my look can’t change too dramatically for now. I don’t want it to.
Who is your hair icon? Amber Rose- She is brave as hell for going bald and made it cool for girls to stop hiding under their lace-front weaves. I think natural is beautiful, and you don’t always need a bag of hair to look good.
What was your Momma’s best kept hair secret? No secrets, my momma is crazier with her hair than I am! She experiments and so I guess that’s something I took from her.
The one hair product you couldn’t live without? Oh baby… That would be the Yes to Carrots Conditioner you introduced me to! That stuff works magic for my curls, never looked healthier and more defined.
Mistakes that you’ve learned from? Vaseline as a moisturizer doesn't work!!! lol
What’s the best thing about being curly? I love that it only takes ten min to style, it’s cheap to maintain and always looks cute!
Any advice for ‘dem curls out there? Experiment, everyone’s hair is different you just need to find what works best for you!

Dry upside down!
 

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment