July 21, 2012

Detangling 101: Kinky Curly Hair

Hola todos!

One of the things I wish I had more insight on before I went natural was how to properly detangle my hair. I never BC'd (big chopped), so while I was transitioning I would end up with many knots and tangles in my hair (due to the two hair textures) which I would get impatient with and rip out. *hangs head* Can you say split ends?

I remember one time I had braids in my hair and when I removed them, I washed my hair without detangling first. Oh my, bad idea! Parts of my hair were so badly tangled that I had to cut out chunks of my hair in order to get the knots out. I don't really have issues growing my hair, but I struggled with length retention because of breakage. One of the biggest culprits that lead to my breakage was that I wasn't detangling properly.

So I present you Detangling 101: Kinky Curly Hair....so that you can learn from my mistakes :)


1. Never detangle dry hair.

Welcome to Curly Hair Commandment #6. Detangling dry hair can result in ripping and breakage (due to the tight fragile nature of the curl pattern).

2. Wash your hair in sections.

If your hair is on the longer side it might get tangled as you wash it. To help avoid tangles and to keep the hair in a stretched state, wash in sections.

Section your hair in roughly 4-6 twists and wash each section individual (re-twisting when complete).

3. Pre-Poo

Prior to shampooing, try detangling your hair with an inexpensive conditioner. This will help prevent tangles prior to washing, or eliminate particular nasty ones.

Dampen/wet hair and work conditioner through the sections before shampooing. Pre-pooing also helps add some additional moisture to the strands prior to shampooing. Shampoos can cause dryness...which aids in tangles.

4. Detangle with conditioner.

Thoroughly apply conditioner to your hair in sections. The conditioner provides better slip to help work through the tangles and knots.

5. Use your fingers.

Why spend money on expensive combs and brushes when you have the best tool already on your person. Fingers are the gentlest way to detangle your strands. With using your fingers, it's easier for your to adjust the amount of force to gently work apart tangles and knots. Although it may take a little bit longer, it can lead to less breakage, which means greater length retention.

Working through each section, start at the ends and gently work your way to the roots.

[If you feel you must use a comb, opt for a wide-tooth comb. Avoid using fine-tooth combs/brushes, as it may rip your hair. Always go from ends to roots, never the other way around!].

6. Keep hair in a stretched-state.

The kinkier or curlier your hair, the more beneficial it may be to keep it in a stretched state. Stretching will help prevent shrinkage (which can help tangles) and it will also help you to detangle strands easier.

I normally stretch my hair through braids and twists.

7. Be patient!

Have patience when handling your hair. If you're not in the mood or in a rush, leave it for another day.

Rushing to detangle your hair can lead to split ends, breakage and ripping. So make sure you give yourself sufficient time and give your hair a lil TLC.


:)
J

"El amor mira no con los ojos, sino con la mente"
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment