1. Thou shall be thankful and proud of the hair on thy head. It's thy crown of glory. Do not be shy or ashamed of your hair, it's yours and it’s beautiful, so embrace it. Remember, you are not defined by your hair.
2.Thou shall eat properly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Healthy hair starts from the inside out. By eating healthy you are nourishing your hair follicles (which is important to healthy hair growth). Your diet and lifestyle (exercise, amount of stress, sleep) is very much reflective on the bounce in your curls.
3. Thou shall not fear water. When I use to press my hair, water was my enemy. I feared it like the plague, for fear that my kinky-curly texture would return if it got wet. And I always thought water would make my hair dry. How ignorant I was! Water is hands down the best moisturizer! [It's important to seal that moisture in with natural oils and butters]. Look for products with water as the first ingredient. Spritizing water on your hair in the morning will help to revive your curls.
4. Thou shall moisturize! I can’t begin to explain how important this is. Remember, water is the best moisturizer and it’s important to invest in a quality deep conditioner AND leave-in. Curly hair and especially kinky-curly hair can get very dry because of the curl texture (which makes it difficult for natural oils produced by scalp to travel down the hair shaft).
5.Thou shall honor wash day and keep it sacred. It's really important to do regular deep condition treatments to moisturize your hair. So if you do this once a week, it's important to stay consistent. Your hair will thank you for it!
6. Thou shall not detangle dry curls. Detangling dry hair can result in ripping and breakage. Wet hair, use conditioner and going through your hair in sections, use your fingers to detangle...gently!
7.Thou shall nourish thy hair with quality ingredients. Try to stick to natural products, oils and butters and avoid ingredients such as silicone's, parabens, and petrolatum.
8. Thou shall protect thy curls while sleeping. Sleep on a satin/silk pillow case, or wear a silk cap. This will help to maintain the moisture in your hair and prevent breakage.
9. Thou shall not kill thy curls with extreme heat. Heat can be very damaging to your curl pattern, so try and avoid it. Allow your hair to air dry. If you must use heat to straighten or blow dry, be sure to use a heat protectant (i.e., grape seed oil).
10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbours curls. Love your hair, it's unique to you. If you don't love it, no one else will.