July 18, 2012

Check out Dem Curls: Michele!

"The best thing about being natural is its versatility, you can rock a fro one day, a twistout the next day or twists. The styles are endless." - Michele

What’s your name? Michele
How old are you? 22
What do you do? Auditor at a public accounting firm.
Where are you? Toronto, Ontario Canada
How did we met? We work at the same firm and met September 2011.
Now Playing :
Currently a little of an oldie released in 2011; Motivation by Kelly Rowland ft Lil Wayne and the reggae version of Usher’s Climax edited by Jr Blender Reggae
Quote you live by:

You must always remember, you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think – Winnie the pooh
Describe your hair type?
My hair is short (above my shoulders, about neck length) very kinky, tightly coiled and has a low density.
Tell us a little about your hair history and what made you decide to go natural?
As a child my mother did not know how to take care of my hair which resulted in my moving from braids to a TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro), relaxer to a TWA, jherri curls to TWA and then texturizers to TWA. As you noticed, every time my mother decided to try a new hair “relaxing” method it never got positive results, my hair would constantly break, my sides would thin out and most importantly I could never sit through the chemical processes, as my scalp is very sensitive. Once I finally took control over my hair in my teens I thought maybe things would change and started going to my own hair dresser but nothing really changed; I still couldn’t sit through a relaxer (believe me I tried all the relaxers on the market at the time) and my hair was still thinning out. As I was searching for my options on combating my hair issues and discussing my options with my hair dresser, she had suggested I go natural. With her suggestion and the fact that my hair was literally falling out in chunks at the time, I made the decision to go natural April 2010 and big chopped (BC) on July 16, 2010, one of the best decisions I’ve made.
Describe your hair regime.

[Click on the product names, for product links!]
Current regimen:
Wash Day (usually every 3 to 4 weeks):
Start with an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse, 1 part ACV to 3 parts water
Wash with Terressentials Left Coast Lemon Pure Earth Mud wash and finger detangle
After rinsing out the mud wash, I sprits my hair with my glycerine mix, same proportion as ACV rinse
Apply a dime size amount of Kinky Curly Knot Today and seal with coconut oil when braiding in sections
Deep Conditioners: I used to use Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment (great product) however it doesn’t work the same on my hair as it used to. I am currently trying to create my own recipe similar to that of Anita Grant’s Rhassoul Deep Conditioner, the product is amazing and leaves my hair soft and moisturized. Unfortunately the shipping costs are quite high for me! :)

Protein treatment
I am currently trying to up my protein treatments to once every 2 months.
Recipe: Greek yogurt, honey, ACV and lavender.
Hair styles:
Minitwists, flat twists into a banana clip (ends tucked away) and braid out with flat twist at the front.

Who is your hair icon?
Naptural85, Rusticbeauty and Tonidaley80 all three on YouTube.
What was your Momma’s best kept hair secret?
My mother has no secrets, hence above.
The one hair product you couldn’t live without.
Coconut oil and any clay like products such as bentonite clay, rhassoul etc, they work so well in my hair.
Mistakes that you’ve learned from.
Being a product junky; if you find a product that works well with your hair, stop looking
What’s the best thing about being curly?
The best thing about being natural is its versatility, you can rock a fro one day, a twistout the next day or twists. The styles are endless.
Any advice for ‘dem curls out there?
Be patient and understand your hair. Remember what works for one person may not work for you.


Mini twists.

Flat twist into banana clip.


Twist out.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment